Thursday, May 17, 2012

Josh's Next Board Game Design

Although this has come about furiously, with dozens of pages of information and inspiration compiled in a very short time, it has come about with a singular purpose. I want to make a game I want to play, because of how it plays and what it is, not because I made it, or because I can really dig the story. If I happen to able to get into the story as well, that's a boon, but my goal was to come up with a game system that makes sense to me and is fun for me to play. And here's the first sneak peak.

When I began compiling artwork from around the web to build a test-able version of this game, I got caught up in the readily available piles of artwork already available from one of my favorite games of all time - Privateer. Subsequently the Wing Commander fans will recognize no doubt, a couple of ships already. Now since the Wing Commander rights are under the EA banner, I will of course need to find new artwork in order to bring this game to press, however I am far enough off from that goal for now, that I am just having a blast bringing one of my favorite games to life as a board game on Vassal. Perhaps a whole WC themed version will warrant a release on Vassal, but what I am really keen on is the core mechanics.


So what is it in a nutshell? What this game will do is allow you to play as a swashbuckling adventurer in space, whose actions have consequences that will open up or close opportunities. You will be able to trade goods where they are in demand and take on missions for local merchants or one of the four spheres of influence in the game. As the game goes on, what you can do will expand according to your reputation with those factions and where you can safely go will change. There are also special bonuses for your relationships that will improve your options, but will restrict your access to other planets and stations. Additionally, there is a residual threat from an invading race that can seriously disrupt the actions and trade routes of the players of the game.

Player interaction will also take place when players hire eachother to accomplish missions and to mutual benefit. In Sandbox games, you will be able to set a time limit, and whoever has achieved the most fame by the end of that time will be the winner, for better or worse.

I am thrilled to see this come together, and will share some updates on its progress as it continues to take shape. For now, I'm just having a blast playing with it!

-Josh-

No comments:

Post a Comment