Sunday, January 03, 2016

Patriot APC Incoming

I had a chance to paint up the Patriot today, and was excited to put this guy on the tabletop.  This is the first tank like model I've ever painted for the tabletop, and I admit I wasn't sure what to do.  You'd think it would be simple enough to transfer the techniques that I have become comfortable with when painting anthropomorphized robots or humanoid characters, but in this case I especially couldn't decide on a colour to start with.
What resulted was in fact an accident.

I have two colour sets to my american army: Confederate grey/blue and Desert yellow/leather.  Officers and certain characters will have the confederate treatment to go with the fluff of the Dystopian Wars history, wherein the South won their civil war.  The troops will come in companies that reflect their sponsor states, and the first group is from Arizona, thus they end up with the desert sort of look.
Undecided still, I ended up priming the tank black, and while it was still a little tacky, I started a heavy "dry" brush in yellow.  After three layers of dry brushing the yellow/gold (the same base I used on the heavy machine gunner in the above picture), I then applied a wash made from jet dry, black pigment and gloss.  Low and behold, it turned out like it did, and I have to admit, I like it.
What do you think?  Do you have any unexpected painting stories to share?  Comment below



No comments:

Post a Comment